couple looking at their phone with moving boxes around them

Home Financing Library

Flood Insurance

Flooding is not covered by a standard homeowners insurance policy.

To determine if you need flood insurance, ask your lender about the flood history in your area. If there is a potential for flooding, you must purchase a policy that covers the value of the structure and your personal belongings.

Flood insurance can be purchased from an insurance agent or company under contract with the Federal Insurance Administration, part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency or from a private insurance company. Flood insurance is only available where the local government has adopted adequate flood plain management regulations for properties located in a special flood hazard area under the National Flood Insurance Program.